1. Their Founders
Charles Taze Russell-At a very young age, he rejected the doctrine of a literal, endless punishment for the wicked; stating that he felt it was too harsh to believe. In 1870, at the age of 18 he started a Bible class that elected him as their Pastor in 1876. It was later proven that he was a scheming liar and a fraud. However the JW’s refuse any connection with him because of his well-known bad character. They like to speak of Judge Joseph Rutherford who was Russell’s successor. Rutherford ruled with an iron fist and claimed to be the mouthpiece of God for his age. He wrote over 100 books and pamphlets that propagated the heresies of JW’s. He respected and quoted often from the writings of his predecessor, Russell. If you compare the writings they are almost identical. Rutherford along with members of his staff spent nine months in jail because of alleged "un-American activities" at the beginning of America’s entrance in WWI.
2. Their Character
1) They try to hide their true identity. They usually come to your door asking questions about the terrible conditions of our world. They seldom tell you whom they represent.
2) They refuse any connection with Charles Taze Russell because of his known character.
3) They are very zealous and efficient missionaries for their cause.
4) They are very anti American. They despise any show of patriotism claiming that such is idolatry. They do not salute the flag of any nation. They are very hypocritical of America for the wars she has fought.
5) They limit the Word of God to human reasoning.
3. Their Bible- New World Translation
1) The NWT was first published in 1950 and then revised in 1951. The JW’s had to come up with their own version of the Bible because the KJV refuted much of their heretical teachings. No one but JW’s regard the NWT as a faithful translation of the Scriptures. It is known for adding to and taking away from the word of God (Rev. 22:18-19) Examples: In the KJV Colossian 1:16-17 reads: "For by him (Christ) were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things and by him all things consist." The NWT adds the word "other" between the words all and things in verse 16. Also in John 1:1 they add an "a" god instead of The God. Yet the Greek language there is not an a article before the Word Theos (God) in this passage.
4. Their Doctrine Refuted By Scriptures
1) They deny the trinity. 1 John 5:7; Gen. 1:26, 11:7; Matt.28: 19; Isa. 6:8; John 10:30, 14:16-18, 23; Acts 5:3-4;
2) They deny the deity of Christ. Rev. 1:8;John 1:1, 5:18-23, 20: 28; 1 Tim. 3:16; Matt. 1:23
3) They deny the atonement of Christ’s blood for salvation and believe man has part in it. Rom. 3:25, 5:1,9;Eph. 1:7; Col. 1:14; Heb. 9:22; 1 Pet. 1:19, 2:24; 1 john 1:7
4) They deny the physical resurrection of Christ and state that Jesus did not appear in the same form which hung upon the cross since that body either "dissolved in gases or is preserved somewhere as a memorial to God’s love." Yet the Bible makes it clear that Christ literally rose from the dead in His human body. Luke 24:25, 38-40; John 2: 18-22, 20: 25-29, 21: 13-14; Rom. 4: 24, 6:4, 1 Cor. 15: 15-17
5) They deny the physical return of Christ. They declare that Christ returned to some imaginary temple in 1914 and proceeded to cleanse it until 1918 for judgment upon sinful men and Satan’s organizations. They affirm that since He did not rise physically, neither will He return physically. But he will physically return Titus 2:13; Zech. 14:4; Acts 1:8; Rev. 1:7
6) They deny that man’s soul is immortal. The Bible clearly teaches the immortality of man’s soul. At death the soul departs from man’s body into either the realms of Heaven or Hell. 2 Cor. 5:8; Matt. 17:1-4; Philip. 1: 21-23; Rev. 6: 9-11. So naturally ……
7) ……they deny eternal punishment. Matt. 8: 11-12, 13:42, 25:46; Luke 16:19-31; 2 Thes. 1: 7-9; 2 Pet. 2:17; Jude v13; Rev. 19:20
They used to believe that only 144,000 people were going to heaven and they would use Rev. 7:4 and 14: 1-3 to try to prove it. However you can simply see that it’s talking about Jewish men, 12,000 out of each of the 12 tribes of Israel who will be martyred for their testimony.
Now that there numbers have grown well over 144,000 they had to adopt a new doctrine. Now they teach that 144,000 will go to heaven and rest will remain here on the earth but God will cleanse the earth and make it new again. The Bible seems to speak in Rev. 5: 9-14, of an innumerable company of people that will dwell in Heaven.
Conclusion: They are false prophets with the spirit of Anti-Christ and should be regarded as perverters of the Scriptures. 1 John 4:1 says " Beloved believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God; because many false prophets are gone out into the world." The JW’s are without a doubt as Peter said: " unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their owe destruction" (2 Pet. 3:16).
I plead with all who have the truth of the blood of Christ in there heart, that before you confront a JW make sure you have done your homework these people are very good at spreading there false gospel ( we should be as willing to spread the truth as they are with there false truth ) Be strong in the Faith and know the Scriptures!!!